Dr. Dariush Adli
Dr. Adli is perhaps best known as the “go to” trial lawyer in high stakes intellectual property (patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret) and complex commercial disputes. The reason is clear; for over two decades, Dr. Adli has successfully counseled and represented U.S., Asian and European businesses, from Fortune 500 corporations to startup companies, in intellectual property and business matters. In 2010, after years of successful practice at big law firms, Dr. Adli decided to act on his vision of offering clients the “choice combination” of high-quality work product, typical of bigger U.S. law firms, and the ready access and more affordable fees typical of specialized boutique firms. This vision gave birth to the success, which is ADLI Law Group, P.C.
Dr. Adli is well recognized as a premier strategist in patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and complex commercial disputes and is widely sought after by businesses large and small, seeking effective strategies for protecting their valuable intellectual property assets. In that effort, Dr. Adli partners with businesses to identify their protectable intellectual property assets and to develop customized legal strategies, which are consistent with the businesses’ goals, resources and risk tolerance.
Dr. Adli has a deep understanding of science and technology. He has a bachelor’s degree in physics and mathematics and master’s and Ph.D. degrees in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. After a few years as a scientist/engineer at a top engineering consulting firm in the Boston area, Dr. Adli decided to pursue a career in law and enrolled in the J.D. program at the University of Michigan, graduating in 1998.
Dr. Adli has first chaired numerous trials in intellectual property and complex commercial matters at federal and state courts, the International Trade Commission (ITC) and in arbitration proceedings. Dr. Adli also has significant experience in patent post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and in proceedings before the Trademark Trial Appeal Board (TTAB).
Successfully represented vaporizer product manufacturer and distributor against main competitor in patent infringement action to a highly favorable claim construction ruling by the Court.
Won bench trial representing renowned Hollywood writer/director/producer in copyright ownership claim by major special effects company.
Won bench trial representing sound technology startup in complex commercial case involving contract, labor and intellectual property infringement claims. Subsequent to trial, Dr. Adli sought and obtained attorneys’ fees for client as the prevailing party in the dispute.
Won jury trial by obtaining favorable verdicts on liability and damages representing major beauty supply manufacturer and nationwide distributor in trademark infringement dispute with main business competitor.
Won jury trial defending startup designer and manufacturer of custom automobile wheels in patent infringement action brought by the dominant player in the field.
Successfully represented major Asian corporation in patent infringement action at the International Trade Commission (ITC) against Korean competitor conglomerate.
Won summary judgement of patent invalidity against major smart phone battery case manufacturer.
Successfully represented wind turbine startup company against competitor in a patent infringement action to a highly favorable claim construction ruling by the court.
Successfully won permanent injunction, damages and attorneys’ fees representing Taiwanese diving and snorkeling equipment manufacturer against competitor in patent infringement action.
- Daily Journal – Who’s an employee? Impact of Dynamex (2018)
- Entrepreneur – Do Amazon’s Movement-Tracking Wristbands Violate Workers’ Privacy Rights? (2018)
- Lawyer Monthly – 3 Potential Issues For Cosby’s Expected Appeal (2018)
- The Recorder – Should Musical Works be Entitled to ‘Broad’ or ‘Thin’ Copyright Protection? (2018)
- Daily Journal – Amazon patent blur human-robot line (2018)
- Lawyer Monthly– The ‘Blurred Lines’ Decision And Its Potential Legal & Artistic Impact (2018)
- Intellectual Property Magazine – Part of the fabric? (2018)
- Bloomberg BNA – Protecting Fashion Trademarks with Existing Legislation (2018)
- The Recorder – What Startups with Lean Budgets Can Do to Protect Their IP (2018)
Areas of Practice:
- Patent litigation
- Patent acquisition
- Patent counseling
- Trademark and Copyright acquisition
- Trade Dress litigation and acquisition
Areas of Technical Specialties:
- Computer and Network Architecture
- Light–emitting diode technology (LED)
- Mechanical Arts
- Internet and E–Commerce
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Juris Doctor, 1998
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Doctor of Philosophy, Nuclear Engineering (Applied Physics), 1983. Thesis funded by a National Science
- Foundation Scholarship Award
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Master of Science, Nuclear Engineering (Semiconductor Physics), 1978, Cum Laude
- The National University of Iran, Tehran, Iran, Bachelor of Science, Physics and Electrical Engineering, 1976, Summa Cum Laude
- California, 1999
- U.S. District Court of Colorado, 2010
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2000
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2000
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2009
- United States District Court of Texas, Eastern District
- United States District Court of Texas, Western District
- United States District Court of Texas, Northern District
- United States District Court of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2000
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Member, American Nuclear Society
- Member, Association of Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Member and Former Vice President, Iranian–American Lawyers Association
Prior Legal & Non–Legal Experience:
- Hogan & Hartson, LP, Los Angeles, CA (2002–2009)
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto, Costa Mesa, CA (2001 to 2002)
- Fish & Richardson, San Diego, CA (2000 to 2001)
- Pillsbury Winthrop, San Diego, CA (1998 to 2000)
- Duke Engineering Services, Bolton, MA (1983 to 1993)
Represented Patent Matters:
- Kaneka Corporation v. Xiamen Kingdomway (C.D. CA 2009)-Successfully represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit brought against multinational company resulting in a favorable settlement on behalf of plaintiff.
- Beyond Cell Electronics Inc. v. EMAX Wireless, Inc. et al (C.D. CA 2009)-Successfully represented defendant in Copyright and Trade Dress infringement lawsuit by obtaining favorable settlement of the case.
- Nike Inc. v. Janine Rascon et al 2:07–cv–00551 (C.D. CA 2008)-Successfully represented defendant in Trademark infringement lawsuit brought by a national sports shoe manufacturer by obtaining favorable settlement for the defendant.
- Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory, Ltd. 457 F.Supp. 2d 843 (N.D. Ill. 2006)-Represented defendant in successful Markman proceedings.
- Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory, Ltd. 2005 WL 3408029 (E.D. Texas 2005)-Represented defendant in successful Markman proceedings.
- Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory, Ltd. 2005 WL 711991 (N.D. Ill.)-Represented defendant in winning motion for partial summary judgment of non–infringement.
- Ishida Co., Ltd. v. Taylor, 112 Fed. Appx. 55 (Fed. Cir. 2004) Federal Circuit Court of Appeals-Helped successfully defend packaging company in appeal of District Court’s non–infringement decision to the Federal Circuit.
- Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory Ltd., 2003 WL 355470 (N.D. Ill. 2003) and 2003 WL 22125212 (N.D. Ill. 2003)-Successfully defended currency processing manufacturer in preliminary injunction proceedings and in the appeal of the decision to the district court.
- Patent Prosecution (Acquisition) Cases – Successfully prosecuted and obtained hundreds of utility and design patent applications at the United States
- Patent and Trademark Office. Exemplary applications include:
- U.S. Patent No. 7,488,970 (Semiconductor), issued Feb. 10, 2009
- U.S. Patent No. D575,300 (Image for a digital camera), issued August 19, 2008
- U.S. Patent No. 7,216,249 (Clock generation system), issued May 8, 2007
- U.S. Patent No. 7,297,867 (Solar battery module), issued January 20, 2007
- U.S. Patent No 7,056,276 (Catheter for radiation therapy), issued, June 6, 2006
- U.S. Patent No. 6,945,008 (Packaging system with improved flow of articles), issued September 20, 2005
- U.S. Patent No. 6,706,813 (Curable Composition), issued March 16, 2004
Represented and helped represent clients in patent infringement matters involving diverse areas of technology including semiconductors, solar cells, integrated circuits, computer hardware, architecture, software, digital processing and communications. Experienced, as first chair and second chair, in all phases of patent infringement litigation, including: strategizing, preparing budget estimates, pre–filing infringement and validity analysis, opposing counsel negotiations, scheduling conference preparation and hearing, fact witness identification and deposition, claim construction proceedings and technology tutorials, expert witness identification and preparation; expert reports and depositions, and extensive trial preparation, including mock jury exercises.
Patent Acquisition (Prosecution), Opinion and Reexamination:
Supervisory and hands–on experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications and providing infringement and validity opinions in various technology areas including semiconductor, optics, integrated circuit, computer hardware, software, digital processing, communications, medical devices, consumer electronic products including cameras, printers, copiers, the Internet and commercial nuclear power related technology. Prepared and filed inter–parte and ex–parte reexamination requests at the PTO.
Counseled clients in patent and technology assessment and portfolio analysis, strategic planning, and the development of policies and programs for protecting confidential information.
Trademark, Trade Dress and Copyright Litigation:
Helped represent and successfully settled a case against several defendants in trademark litigation brought by Nike Corp. Represented and successfully settled a case against several defendants in trademark litigation brought by a US Cell Phone Case manufacturer. Successfully represented defendant in trade dress litigation brought by a US Auto and Truck lighting manufacturer.