‘Transformers 4’ casting Chinese actors in top roles: Another sign of China reigning over Hollywood?
LOS ANGELES – Last week, famed director Michael Bay and Paramount Pictures announced that popular...
Tips on Maximizing Success of IP Plaintiffs at Minimum Costs
At Adli Law, our goal in representing an intellectual property (patent, trademark, copyright or trade...
You Are Better Off With a Judge
http://www.canexback.com/ ased on the most recent data, patent holders have a better chance of prevailing...
Judge Gee Denies Jolie Attorneys' Fees
On June 7, 2013 California federal Dolly M. Gee denied Angelina Jolie’s request for $350,000 in attorneys’...
Could This Be the Answer to Patent Trolls?
Under legislation that Congress introduced on May 16, patent owners' names would become a part of...
Submit a Topic Proposal
Want more general information about a topic? Submit your request here to have Adli Law Group, P.C. consider your blog topic request.
Dr. Dariush G. Adli | President of Adli Law Group P.C. | Direct: 213-623-6547 | email@example.com
Prior to founding his own legal practice, Dr. Adli was the Head of the Patent Group at a large international law firm based in Los Angeles. Before that, he spent many years as Counsel at Hogan & Hartson LLP. He obtained his doctorate degree in Engineering Physics and a bachelor’s degree in Physics and Electronics, from the University of Michigan.
Before his successful career in law, Dr. Adli was a lead scientist at Duke Electric Power Company in Bolton, MA, where he was a member of a research and development team working on product design. Dr. Adli has authored and co–authored numerous articles, which have been published in national scientific journals. Two of his profound articles have won national best paper awards.
Areas of Practice:
• Patent litigation
• Patent acquisition
• Patent counseling
• Trademark and Copyright acquisition
• Trade Dress litigation and acquisition
Areas of Technical Specialties:
• Computer and Network Architecture
• Light–emitting diode technology (LED)
• Mechanical Arts
• Internet and E–Commerce
• The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Juris Doctor, 1998
• The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Doctor of Philosophy, Nuclear Engineering (Applied Physics), 1983. Thesis funded by a National Science Foundation Scholarship Award
• The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Master of Science, Nuclear Engineering (Semiconductor Physics), 1978, Cum Laude
• The National University of Iran, Tehran, Iran, Bachelor of Science, Physics and Electrical Engineering, 1976, Summa Cum Laude
• California, 1999
• U.S. District Court of Colorado, 2010
• U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2000
• U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2000
• U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2000
• U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2009
• United States District Court of Texas, Eastern District
• United States District Court of Texas, Western District
• United States District Court of Texas, Northern District
• United States District Court of Colorado
• U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
• U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2000
Professional Associations & Memberships:
• Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
• Member, American Nuclear Society
• Member, Association of Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
• Member and Former Vice President, Iranian–American Lawyers Association
Prior Legal & Non–Legal Experience:
• Hogan & Hartson, LP, Los Angeles, CA (2002–2009)
• Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto, Costa Mesa, CA (2001 to 2002)
• Fish & Richardson, San Diego, CA (2000 to 2001)
• Pillsbury Winthrop, San Diego, CA (1998 to 2000)
• Duke Engineering Services, Bolton, MA (1983 to 1993)
Represented Patent Matters:
• Kaneka Corporation v. Xiamen Kingdomway (C.D. CA 2009)-Successfully represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit brought against multinational company resulting in a favorable settlement on behalf of plaintiff.
• Beyond Cell Electronics Inc. v. EMAX Wireless, Inc. et al (C.D. CA 2009)-Successfully represented defendant in Copyright and Trade Dress infringement lawsuit by obtaining favorable settlement of the case.
• Nike Inc. v. Janine Rascon et al 2:07–cv–00551 (C.D. CA 2008)-Successfully represented defendant in Trademark infringement lawsuit brought by a national sports shoe manufacturer by obtaining favorable settlement for the defendant.
• Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory, Ltd. 457 F.Supp. 2d 843 (N.D. Ill. 2006)-Represented defendant in successful Markman proceedings.
• Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory, Ltd. 2005 WL 3408029 (E.D. Texas 2005)-Represented defendant in successful Markman proceedings.
• Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory, Ltd. 2005 WL 711991 (N.D. Ill.)-Represented defendant in winning motion for partial summary judgment of non–infringement.
• Ishida Co., Ltd. v. Taylor, 112 Fed. Appx. 55 (Fed. Cir. 2004) Federal Circuit Court of Appeals-Helped successfully defend packaging company in appeal of District Court’s non–infringement decision to the Federal Circuit.
• Cummins–Allison Corp. v. Glory Ltd., 2003 WL 355470 (N.D. Ill. 2003) and 2003 WL 22125212 (N.D. Ill. 2003)-Successfully defended currency processing manufacturer in preliminary injunction proceedings and in the appeal of the decision to the district court.
• Patent Prosecution (Acquisition) Cases – Successfully prosecuted and obtained hundreds of utility and design patent applications at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Exemplary applications include:
• U.S. Patent No. 7,488,970 (Semiconductor), issued Feb. 10, 2009
• U.S. Patent No. D575,300 (Image for a digital camera), issued August 19, 2008
• U.S. Patent No. 7,216,249 (Clock generation system), issued May 8, 2007
• U.S. Patent No. 7,297,867 (Solar battery module), issued January 20, 2007
• U.S. Patent No 7,056,276 (Catheter for radiation therapy), issued, June 6, 2006
• U.S. Patent No. 6,945,008 (Packaging system with improved flow of articles), issued September 20, 2005
• U.S. Patent No. 6,706,813 (Curable Composition), issued March 16, 2004
Represented and helped represent clients in patent infringement matters involving diverse areas of technology including semiconductors, solar cells, integrated circuits, computer hardware, architecture, software, digital processing and communications. Experienced, as first chair and second chair, in all phases of patent infringement litigation, including: strategizing, preparing budget estimates, pre–filing infringement and validity analysis, opposing counsel negotiations, scheduling conference preparation and hearing, fact witness identification and deposition, claim construction proceedings and technology tutorials, expert witness identification and preparation; expert reports and depositions, and extensive trial preparation, including mock jury exercises.
Patent Acquisition (Prosecution), Opinion and Reexamination:
Supervisory and hands–on experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications and providing infringement and validity opinions in various technology areas including semiconductor, optics, integrated circuit, computer hardware, software, digital processing, communications, medical devices, consumer electronic products including cameras, printers, copiers, the Internet and commercial nuclear power related technology.
Prepared and filed inter–parte and ex–parte reexamination requests at the PTO.
Counseled clients in patent and technology assessment and portfolio analysis, strategic planning, and the development of policies and programs for protecting confidential information.
Trademark, Trade Dress and Copyright Litigation:
Helped represent and successfully settled a case against several defendants in trademark litigation brought by Nike Corp.
Represented and successfully settled a case against several defendants in trademark litigation brought by a US Cell Phone Case manufacturer.
Successfully represented defendant in trade dress litigation brought by a US Auto and Truck lighting manufacturer.